From: Greig, Barbara J []
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 12:43 PM

Subject: Canadian Hague Access Application Information








February 25, 2008


W. Scott Loper


Dear Mr. Loper:


I am writing in response to my telephone conversation with you of February 22, 2008 regarding your child, Edward Loper, who may still be alive in Canada.  I am the Officer responsible for cases in Canada for the International Parental Child Abduction Unit of the Office Children's Issues.  International parental child abduction is an issue of great concern to the Department of State.  We place the highest priority on children who have been victimized by parental or State abduction.  I have already opened a case in the name of Edward Loper that will remain open until you gain access to him or all possible efforts have been exhausted.


To assist you during this difficult time, we offer many services that we hope you will find useful.  Please begin by reading our website,  There is a great deal of information available on this site specifically for parents in your situation.  Through this website, you can learn:

1.       How to Search for a Child Abducted Abroad:

2.      Description of the Hague Convention as an option

3.      You can find information specific to Canada at:


To file a Hague access application, please complete, sign and date the Hague application form available on the website. In support of your application, you must submit an Article 28 Power of Attorney form (sample available on the website); a certified copy of Edward's birth certificate; and the most recent color photographs of Edward and his mother available.  We have also found it helpful if the left-behind parent submits a detailed statement of the circumstances of the case and any efforts to locate and/or maintain contact with the child. Although I am well aware of the horrific circumstances surrounding your case, this must be in your own words.  You must also submit an access proposal detailing what type(s) of access you are seeking (telephone/e-mail/written correspondence), the frequency and who will be responsible for the costs.  Given the circumstances as described to me over the phone, if Edward is alive and located, it is unlikely that he would be allowed by the Canadian Government to travel to the U.S. for physical contact. You must be prepared for that, as well as the possibility that your Son is no longer alive.  Please complete the attached Privacy Act Waiver form for use by this office.  You should be aware that these documents will not be returned to you. 


When the package is complete, it should be sent to my attention at CA/OCS/CI, U.S. Department of State, SA-29 Fourth Floor, 2201 C Street NW, Washington, D.C.  20520-2818.  I strongly recommend sending it by courier such as Federal Express, UPS, DHL, Express Mail, etc. as delays in the delivery of regular mail are common.


If Edward is alive, and there is no possibility of a voluntary access agreement, you will need to retain an attorney in Canada to pursue your Hague application through the Canadian courts. The State Department will assist you.  A flyer on Retaining a Foreign Attorney is available on the website.  Although we assume no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of attorneys listed.



If you have any questions or items that need clarification after you review the website, please do not hesitate to call me at 202-736-9142 or e-mail me at  I am generally in the office between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.  Please be assured Mr.Loper, that we in the Office of Children's Issues are here to help you as well.






Barbara J. Greig

International Parental Child Abduction Unit

Office of Children's Issues

U.S. Department of State